Sunday, September 9, 2012

Oh No! Not Another...

Last week, I told you about how it always seems that I come up with a new project.  So just a few days later, I am glad to tell you that I am back with another new one.  Someone once told me that if you're going to collect autographs through the mail, make sure that you pick a theme/project that you'll enjoy and have some success because sometimes the TTM failures can bring your morale down.

Being a part-time journalist and avid sports fan, I thought of a neat little theme.  My first success for this project came back last Friday from Los Angeles Dodgers radio play-by-play voice, Charley Steiner.  My newest project is to get an 8x10 image of an iconic moment of sports history and have it signed by an announcer that made an iconic sports call of that moment.

For those of you that didn't know, Charley Steiner was doing play-by-play for the Yankees Radio network in 2003 when the Yankees played the Red Sox in the American League Championship Series.  After a big comeback against Pedro Martinez, the Yankees forced extra innings in the decisive game that would decide the American League Pennant.  Aaron Boone was as cold as an Alaskan igloo in the dead of winter.  He entered the game as a pinch runner in the 8th and found himself facing Tim Wakefield to lead off the Bottom of the 11th inning.

That's when Charley Steiner takes over: "There's a fly ball deep to left!  It's on it's way, there it goes.. and the Yankees are going to the World Series!" 

It still gives me goose bumps when I hear a replay of that call and you can listen to it in a video I made a couple of years before the playoffs began.

I sent the 8x10 of Aaron Boone to Dodger stadium (above) and asked Charley Steiner if he would inscribe that call and sign the photo for my project.  It's a little tough to read because of the dark sharpie on a dark picture, but to a big Yankee fan like myself, this is an AWESOME success!  So a big thank you Mr. Steiner!

I hope to have a couple more returns this week for this project and will share if/when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment